Forget about commercially packed cereals/ granola or oatmeal. This recipe is so easy, you can do it yourself. The first choice of topping I would go for whenever I reach out for my Greek Yogurt for afternoon snack. I don't deny the original taste of greek yogurt can be so sour I would squeeze my eyelids together and hardly swallow one mouth of it - solution? Go with something sweet. Granola's my best choice.
(Recipe adapted from joyofbaking.com, with slight changes)
- 3 cups (300 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon (5 grams) wheat germ (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) pure maple syrup (preferably Grade A Dark Amber)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Either butter or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, nuts, seeds, wheat germ, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oil (or melted butter), and maple syrup.
- Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and toss together, making sure all the dry ingredients are coated with the liquid.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 30 - 45 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally so the mixture browns evenly. (The browner the granola gets (without burning) the crunchier the granola will be.)
- Place on a wire rack to cool. You will notice that the granola may still be sticky when it is removed from the oven but it will become crisp and dry as it cools. Make sure to break up any large clumps of granola while the mixture is still warm. Once the granola has completely cooled, store in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.
- Makes about 5 cups.
It fills up a bottle of big and small air tight jar which you can conveniently get it at IKEA for $2.90 (short) and $3.90 (tall).